Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas chumps

For years (maybe 40?) I have shouldered the sole responsibility for conceiving of and executing a happy Christmas for all of our family members, and for those friends, and work associates, who we exchange gifts with. I have spent hours figuring out what will be most meaningful for each person, if everyone is receiving comparable items, etc. (Heaven forbid that one child got 4 gifts and another got 5! They do keep track and as they got older and the number went down but the dollar amount went up it became especially tricky).
Well, after weeks of planning, then shopping, then wrapping, and then mailing when necessary, my dear husband, whom I have dubbed the Christmas chump, has often said to me, on or about December 24th, usually at 4 in the afternoon, "So, are we all ready for Christmas?" which, being interpreted means, "Did you get everything purchased and prepared for the big day, because I haven't given it a thought until this very moment."
A few times, a very few, I have done what I like to call "pitch a fit" and insisted that he help out. I admit, once I put my foot down he has helped some, but his interest is short-lived, and it rarely includes (I am not sure if it ever has!) the wrapping, labeling, or placing under the tree. Certainly I never sent him to the post office, because, I mean, when asked if the package contained anything perishable, liquid, or hazardous, how would he know?
Perhaps there is a husband out there who really gets " into" the whole gift-buying thing, making sure everything is equal, thoughtful, and beautifully adorned. I would like to talk to that guy, but I would really like to talk to his wife.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear he's evolved. I can only imagine that he began at the stage where I am now: not prepare and not really worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I married Paul Peterson jr.......

    ReplyDelete