Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What Joy is

Recently I received a Christmas card from our life insurance agent. We met him over 40 years ago in Utah and have never seen him again. We have communicated, when necessary, first over the phone, and now on the internet. How often does one need to to communicate with a life insurance agent? Exactly. Maybe two or three times in a 40 year span. But he always sends us a Christmas card, and so I feel as though I know his family. A few years ago his wife had cancer and the picture on the card showed this man and his five sons with their heads shaved in support of her chemo-induced baldness. Last year announced her cancer-free condition with a picture of them in some sunny vacation spot with broad smiles on their faces. This year we received a cute picture of them with Santa hats on, huge smiles, and he giving her a kiss. I thought, "How great! She is still doing well." But when I turned the card over I saw what I think constitutes the true reason for their smiles: a picture of all eight of their children, their spouses, and 25 beautiful grandchildren. They were all together, and it appeared they were having fun, and enjoying each others' company. That is what real joy is.

No comments:

Post a Comment