Friday, September 2, 2011

Is it a circle?

Yesterday I became a grandmother for the sixteenth time. Birth is such a miracle, but this one was especially so because the mother, my daughter, is 37 and this is her first baby. I prayed long and diligently for her marriage and, now, a baby. I'll meet this little fellow in a few days, and I really can't wait. I absolutely love holding, cuddling and even singing to tiny infants. (Luckily for them, their hearing isn't fully developed). I am continually amazed at the whole process of creation. I mean how is it possible that this new little person could have been scrunched in tight quarters for months, in the dark, immersed in liquid, and fed by a tube, and suddenly he can see, cry, and drink? And what does he know or remember that he is unable to tell us?
Today I was comparing the short life of our new grandson to the very long life of my uncle, who is 99 and a half. My uncle's mind is sharp, and he can communicate well, but his physical body is deteriorating. He has difficulty standing up for more than 30 seconds without his walker, and needs help with all of his daily activities. I use the word "activities" liberally, because, honestly, he usually just sits most of the day. His eyesight and hearing are noticeably impaired. (maybe I could sing to him?) There is a clear comparison to be made between him and this new baby. Both are pretty darn dependent on others to care for them.
If asked, I am sure my uncle would express his amazement at quickly his life has gone by. Certainly he has had priceless experiences, witnessed world, family, and personal events which have contributed to who he is and what he knows.
It is impossible to fathom what our new grandson will see, experience, and witness in his lifetime. Part of me (okay, a big part of me) wants to shelter him from most of it, but realistically I know its important that I don't. Given the longevity of my family, and the medical advancements to come, it is likely he will live well into his 100's, but I'll bet as he nears the end of his life, he will still say its gone by quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment