Monday, September 19, 2011

Literary appearances

I love to read. I have always been an avid reader and during my childbearing and child caring years, I used to go to the library just to get a "rush" of enthusiasm when my life seemed too mundane. Sadly, during those years I rarely had time to actually finish a book, but being surrounded by possibilities filled me with optimism for what lay in the future.
Now I can read as much, nearly, as I like, and I admit I don't often take advantage of this stage of my life as fully as I could. (It's that ugly, when-I-finish-the-laundry syndrome, which interferes).
No one loves a well-written piece as much as I do. I marvel at the talents of some authors. I appreciate the ability some have to effectively express in words their thoughts and feelings.
Now comes my tell-all. Sometimes I love to read a fast-moving, maybe not so well-written novel on occasion. I like to get lost in an impossible, silly story line where I don' t have to ponder any deeper meanings. This may not be such a sin, except I have realized that my personal pride requires that I keep these reads quiet. For example, if a friend asks what I have been reading lately, I would never mention these books. Now don't get me wrong, I have not sunk so low as to read a romance novel. I do have my standards. What I am talking about are quick read suspense novels, or love stories by an author like... okay, I will not mention names. You get the picture.
I realized how important appearances were to me in this area when I went to the doctor, bringing my copy of Tale of Two Cities to read. The doc saw this and said, "I knew you were an intelligent person. You read the classics". Time to hurry out to my car and bury that other book I was consuming at the time.
Now I have revealed this weakness along with what a fake I am--I hope someday my great-grandchildren will look past these foibles and love me for my more stellar characteristics.

1 comment:

  1. Your only flaw in this is that you feel embarrassed enough to hide what you are reading. Be proud that you have a variety interests and are not just stuck on one type of book. I think your children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will all see you as a well rounded, well educated woman. Besides, at least you get to read!!

    ReplyDelete